Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Pure Luxe haul

I recently bought a large number of sample eyshadows for US$1 each from Pure Luxe (http://pureluxecosmetics.com/home.html). The company sells a number of products, although I just grabbed a bunch of eyeshadow samples.

Navigating the site can be a little bit of a challenge, but what makes it easier is the fact that the eyeshadows are grouped by colour. The colour descriptions were all pretty much on the money, although of course, the pictures only show the eyeshadow in the pot, not what it actually looks like on the skin.

I ended up getting at least one from each of the colour collections on the 'Eye Colors' and 'Eye Colors 2' pages, and only one from 'Eye Colors 3'. I also got a couple from the Fall collection and the 'Specialty eye colors', but nothing from Winter.

It took a few weeks for my parcel to arrive and I was able to track it using the tracking number emailed to me once it shipped. Postage was US$6, which is pretty decent. I ordered during the Memorial Day weekend, so there was a 20% off sale at the time. I paid the regular amount for everything and then applied the discount code to my PayPal cart. I was then refunded the 20% once my order was processed. I have no problem with receiving my discount this way, although I can totally understand those who do.

The samples all came in little pots, which I much prefer to sample baggies. It's so much easier to get to the eyeshadow and means there's much less product going to waste. On the other hand, they do take up more storage space. I'd rather get everything I'm paying for, regardless. There was a generous sample in every jar - some looked as though they were almost full!

I must say, the colours are just gorgeous. I had a sparkling rainbow on my desk when I opened my package. A lot of the colours I chose had some complexity to them; for example, once you start working them in, different coloured undertones appear. Some colours looked completely different in the jar compared to when they're applied on the skin, but these are accurately described in the web site.

Take Prismatic, for example. It's described as "medium teal green in jar. Color changes from lilac-red/silver/green-blue". As you can see in the photos below, it looks teal in the jar and is a lovely lilac on my eyelids. It appeared more silvery in the brighter light and more purple in the bathroom light (the more yellow-looking light). Since I don't walk around constantly staring at myself in a mirror, I can't tell you what light makes it appear teal.







I've used a number of the eyeshadows over Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy (I got 26 samples so I haven't had the chance to give them all a go) and I really love how they go on. The powder is really fine and feels really silky when applied. However, my favourites so far are from the Kaleidoscope collection ('Specialty eye colors'). I've used Oasis and Mirage, and I tried Prismatic today for the first time. These totally appear to change colour, depending on the light. They're so pretty!

Anyway, on to the swatches. This is my first attempt at swatching, both with and without a flash, and all colours are on top of Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy.




(First photo without flash, other three with flash)
Line 1: Mirage, Carnal, Blue Jeans, Amethyst
Line 2: Avenging angel, Prismatic, PL Asp, Uptown, Molten (this one was actually US$2)
Line 3: Heather mist, Lilac ice, Moon glow, Galaxy



(First two photos without flash, last pic with flash)
Line 1: Love spell, Ambition, Vanilla, Hypnotic
Line 2: Regal, Green aura, Fantasy, OMG, Mermaid
Line 3: Tiger's eye, Oasis, BL Asp, Ghost Mist

I was really pleased with my samples and I wouldn't hesitate to buy some more. In fact, I'll probably do that really soon because at the moment, Pure Luxe is having a 4th of July sale! Although really, when samples are only US$1 each, does it matter whether there's a sale on?