Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Review: Designer Brands Lavish Lip Gloss

I'm not sure how many of you have seen the Designer Brands cosmetics, but you'll find them in chemists. The brand was also recently featured on A Current Affair (see the clip here) and beat out a number of luxury brands to take out the top spot for the best lipstick and lip gloss.



I was recently in Chemist Warehouse and was able to get a good look at their range, which starts at $4.99. I saw the segment on A Current Affair, so my interest was piqued (I definitely consider myself a lip gloss whore), and I was also drawn to the lip gloss colours. I have lots of pinks and reddish glosses, so I opted for something a little different. I bought a Lavish Lip Gloss in the colour Delicious Wine for $6.99 for a whopping 7.5mL of product.


This is how it appears in four different kinds of lighting.

In addition to the Lavish Lip Gloss range, there's an Xtreme Lip Gloss collection. The Lavish glosses appear to be more opaque with a subtler shine to them, while the Xtreme glosses are shinier and are meant to be longer lasting. Well, having used the Lavish gloss, I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever in regards to staying power. I'm sure the pictures speak for themselves, but I only really felt like I needed to reapply after around 3 hours.


The picture on the left is after 2 hours and the right is after 4 hours. It'd worn off by then, but my lips were still nicely moisturised.

The gloss features a wand with a doe foot applicator, which I'm a big fan of. Application was smooth and creamy, and while it's a thicker consistency than I'm used to, that's not a bad thing. The gloss is nice and opaque, but it's not sticky or gluggy. I'm seriously considering getting some more colours. Forget what I said in my earlier Sportsgirl lip gloss review, this is the gloss I'll be buying more of.



In a word, this lip gloss is awesome. It kind of seems like everything I've reviewed recently has been a total rave, but this isn't always the case. I consider myself to have been very lucky in my makeup purchases recently. If you're the kind of person who likes a good yet cheap gloss, I highly recommend the Lavish Lip Gloss from Designer Brands. At $6.99 you can't really go wrong and considering how much you get in the tube, it'll last you ages, too.