Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dumb moment: grabbing the wrong colour

First of all, let me start by saying that this hasn't happened more than a couple of times, so I'm not a complete dumbarse. OK, so what I did was swatch a couple of Red Earth eyeshadows in Priceline the other day and I found one I wanted called Cleopatra (they were 50% off, so they were only $8 each). However, the way the testers were organised was in a staggered formation, with the shrink-wrapped goodies in a single row in the back. Turns out I picked up a brown colour called Havana Nights. If I had even bothered to check the label, I would have realised my mistake, but since it was directly behind the Cleopatra tester, I just grabbed it.



I didn't notice what I'd done until I got it home (still without looking at the label on the bottom), removed the plastic and opened it up. It was only after I swiped my finger across the eyeshadow that I realised it was dark brown and not the dark golden olive/brown that I was expecting. Sigh. So of course I couldn't return it. Luckily for me, it's a really nice brown with flecks of gold glitter in it. It's just that brown isn't a colour I wear a lot of. I ended up going back to Priceline today to get Cleopatra (the last one), which was unfortunately smashed to bits. This wasn't evident from the outside because the plastic was intact. Methinks some twit may have dropped it in the store.

The mess that is Cleopatra.

Anyway, I thought I'd force myself to use my new brown eyeshadow today and I'm actually quite impressed. It blended nicely with the other colours I was wearing (Aromaleigh Phantasm and Viburnum) and darkened the crease and outer corner to create a smoky eye. Smoky eyes are something that I'm not particularly good at, since I'm used to solid blocks of bright colour, but I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out. Who knew brown eyeshadow would be so flattering to brown eyes? I thought it would just be boring.



I'll have to (carfeully) give Cleopatra a go and let you guys know what's it like. In the end, I'm left with two eyeshadows for the price of one, so I guess I can't complain too much!


Havana Nights: left swatch is indoors and right swatch is in the sun.


Cleopatra: left swatch is indoors and right swatch is in the sun.

P.S. I'll try to figure out the white balance on my camera. The indoor photos make me look as though I have corpse flesh! It's a fairly new camera so I still don't know my way around it yet. Next time, guys!