Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Nails: crackle polish attempt 1

This week, I decided to try something different with my nails. A few weeks ago, I was in Kmart and bought a silver Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear nail polish (Celeb City) in addition to a $5 BYS crackle nail polish in black. BYS is a really cheap cosmetic brand here in Australia. I'm not sure whether it's available overseas. Anyway, yesterday I decided to give them a go.

The silver is crazy! I wish I'd taken a photo of my nails with just that on. Oh well. My fingertips looked like they were coated in tin foil! Anyway, when that dried, I applied the black crackle polish. It was kind of weird. It was thick, but not gluggy, and applied really opaquely with one stroke (I wish all black/dark nail polish worked that way). The weird part is although I went right to the cuticle, it shrank a little as it dried, leaving a silvery gap (if you must, click on the pictures below to enlarge them, if you want to see what I mean).

The awesome part was when it started to dry properly. It only took a few minutes, but I could literally watch it crack before my eyes. It was so cool! Once that was all dry, I applied a top coat. I found that the top coat actually filled in some of the gaps between the cracks, so they actually looked less cracked. That sucked a little, although as you can see, they obviously still appear cracked.

Left: indoors. Right: outdoors.

So it looked pretty cool, right? Yeah, well, I wish it lasted. Today, I have some severe chipping at the tips. However, only the black has come off, so my nails are silvery all around the edges. I think that for next time, I'll add a couple of layers of top coat to ensure it stays on. Here are some frightful pictures. Sorry they're a bit blurry. My right hand had the worst chipping, so I took the photos with my left hand.

Left: what my nails look like today. Right: close-up showing some of the worst chipping.