Monday, February 28, 2011

Review: Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Liner

Another item I snagged overseas (from the airport this time: I couldn't find any Bobbi Brown in the department stores I went to and it's an online-only thing for Sephora), the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner is a cult favourite. Bobbi Brown is one of those brands that's ridiculously expensive to buy here in Australia. I paid US$21 for this, although I believe the RRP in Myer and David Jones is $45. Crazy.

Anyway, I bought Violet Ink instead of the black I'd normally get. I got a black L'Oreal HiP cream eyeliner on the same trip, so I thought I'd go for something different. As you can see, it's a pretty dark purple, yet still obviously purple. I'm not a fan of purple eyeliners that are so dark, you can't tell they're purple.


Nice and dark, but definitely purple.

The consistency of the liner is excellent. It's smooth, creamy and thick (hehe, it sounds like I'm describing yoghurt), but not gluggy. It's opaque with one stroke of an eyeliner brush, so it didn't take me very long to apply. I still think I need a finer brush for this, but the one I have did the job. Once applied, it took a couple of minutes to set and then it didn't budge all day. It came off easily with eye makeup remover, but when I tried to just wipe off the swatch on my hand, I had trouble with it! So it's got great staying power.


It was really easy to apply a nice, smooth line.

The pot the eyeliner comes in is glass, which is apparently better for preventing gel liners from drying out. I hope it work because it makes it bulkier than I'd like. Still, the lid screws on tightly, preventing other crud from getting in there when it's thrown into a makeup bag.



I believe it's available in 14 different colours, some of them shimmer. I thought about getting the shimmer purple, but decided I'd wear the plain one more often. Now that I've tried (and loved) it, however, I think my next one will be a shimmer.