Friday, March 25, 2011

Review: The Body Shop Skin Primer Matte It

I recently bought The Body Shop's skin primer in the Matte It formulation. There's also a Moisturise It version for those who have drier skin, I guess. It cost $26.95 for 25mL of product. It comes in a handy squeeze tube that's see-through, which is great for being able to tell when you're running low.


Love the transparent and convenient squeezy tube.

I don't know how many of you have tried Smashbox's Photo Finish Primer (the original one), but I have and I can't believe how much like it The Body Shop one is. In fact, I'm going to go as far as saying they're exactly the same. The gel-like texture spreads evenly over my face in the same way and feels the same. It also wears the same during the day. The Smashbox primer is US$32 for the 30ml (1oz) tube, whereas The Body Shop version has a tad less in it, but it cheaper.

The primer creates a lovely smooth canvas for makeup and I actually found myself using less foundation. It also blends out very easily, making foundation application really quick, too. I have an oily T-zone and this primer doesn't really control oil, but rather keeps my makeup from melting and sliding off where it shouldn't. I also find it quite moisturising, so I think it would be ideal for those with dry skin. However, not having tried the moisturising primer, I couldn't tell you which one would be better.

All in all, this is a great base for your makeup. It provides a smooth, soft, gel-like base and makeup glides on effortlessly over the top. If you want a primer that controls oil as well, this isn't the right primer for you. If you're a fan of the original Smashbox primer, I can honestly recommend this as an exact dupe. This means you Australian Smashbox fans no longer need to pay ridiculous Kit Cosmetics prices for what can be had from The Body Shop for less.