Friday, April 1, 2011

Magazine freebie: Designer Brands mascara

I just quickly wanted to mention a freebie that Take 5 magazine has this week (or was it That's Life?). It's a Designer Brands Beyond Amplifying mascara in black. It usually retails for $12.99. My mum gets these two magazine regularly (sorry, she can't remember which one had it) and she thought I'd like to try the mascara.


Notice how long the spikes on the wand are? Nice separation and no clumps!

I've been wearing it for a couple of days and I was surprised by how much I liked it. I wouldn't wear it all the time, but if you like very well defined, natural-looking lashes, I can recommend it. I usually hate rubbery mascara wands, but the spikes on this one are quite long, making it really easy to apply. It really gets in between the lashes and separates them like nobody's business.


Left: the wand gets all the way to the base of the lashes. Right: it's pretty black too.

The reason I wouldn't wear this all the time is the fact that you can't really build it up too much. It gives wispy, natural-looking lashes for when you're wearing light eye makeup. If I was wearing something dark, I'd want a thicker, fuller mascara to make my eyelashes stand out more. The mascara itself is a kind of runnier formula, similar to Maybelline Great Lash. It's also kind of glossy.


My bottom lashes look freakishly long here! I wish I had more lashes on the top...

All in all, it wore nicely all day without flaking off or smudging, even after two hours at training last night. It applies like a dream and there's absolutely no clumping whatsoever. It's a surprisingly good mascara and I like it better than the Max Factor False Lash Effect mascara I've been wearing recently - the formula and the wand! You've got to love the cost of entry too (Take 5 is $3 and That's Life is $2.95)!