Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Nails: Orly Royal Velvet

Hi guys. Sorry I've been away for a while, but sometimes life just gets in the way, doesn't it? Then there was Easter. So now I'm back. I also haven't worn nail polish got a couple of weeks. My cuticles weren't looking the best, as the cold weather has really dried out my skin. However, they're looking much better so expect to see some new polish pics soon.

Royal Velvet is my first Orly polish. I bought a mini of it on eBay to give it a try and I have to say, it's love at first sight! I had no hope of getting a good photo of this awesome colour in the bottle, as it was hard enough to capture on my nails. It's a shimmery dark blue at one angle and then a shimmery red-based purple from a different angle. Below is the one photo I was able to take that showed both colours at once.


Here it is where you can see both the purple and blue colour shifts.

The nail polish applied quite easily and had a decent drying time. It was a little patchy, but I think that's due to the mini brush applicator in the bottle. I'm sure the brush in the full-size bottle would be fine. I used three coats for full opacity and it was perfectly even and smooth. So, on to the restof the pictures. I tried to take photos as I gradually changed angles to show how different all the colours appear, depending on which angle you're looking at it.


Left: front on, it's blue. Right: slightly angled, it's a more purplish blue.


Left: it's a blueish purple. Right: the final gorgeous purple.

All in all, I love this colour. It's amazing to look at and is interesting no matter what angle you look at it. I'm also impressed with the Orly formula and intend to get more. Anyone have any colour recommendations?

1 comment: