Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Rave: Designer Brands eyeshadow

I know it seems like I'm on the Designer Brands bandwagon at the moment, but I can't help it. The makeup is good and it's really cheap. Who can argue with that? Anyway, today I'm talking about an eyeshadow and lip gloss palette that came free with Take 5 a month or two ago. Yes, it's another freebie from my mum. Take 5 must have some deal with Designer Brands because I have another two nine-colour eyeshadow palettes from last year, which also came free with the magazine.


Notice something? Not a dud colour in there! Everything is wearable.

One of the things I love most about this palette is its colour choice. There are three complementary eyeshadows in there and two lovely lip glosses: one lighter and one darker. It's almost unheard of for a palette to be completely usable! The eyeshadows applied well over my eye primer and were easy to blend. I used all three colours in the images below, along with the mascara I raved about the other day.


The eyeshadows had nice pigmentation and applied very easily. All three colours were used here.

Then there were the lip glosses. What lovely colours! They wore reasonably well, although I find it hard to get decent wear from glosses in a palette, as opposed to a real tube and applicator. Anyone remember the old Urban Decay Face Cases? They were the same: they had Lip Gunks in the palette that were nothing like the actual tube of Lip Gunks in terms of longevity. Anyway, the glosses here gave shine and moisture to my lips, while adding a hint of colour.


Left: the lighter colour doesn't actually have much colour -- it just added shine. Right: you can definitely see the colour in the dark pinkish red gloss, although it's still subtle.

This is a bit of a surprise rave, I know. Designer Brands isn't one of the brands I think of when I think of cheaper good-quality makeup, but there it is. Seriously, when almost all of their stuff is under $10, I'd say give it a go. It's made me a convert.