Monday, July 25, 2011

Review: L'Oreal La Couleur Infallible eyeshadow

L'Oreal released a series of eyeshadows called La Couleur Infallible a couple months ago here in Australia. I'm sure how long they've been available overseas. They retail for $19.95 each, which is quite steep. However, in the latest Priceline catalogue, all L'Oreal lip and eye cosmetics are buy one get one free, so I decided to get the two colours I'd been eyeing off: Burning Black and Purple Obsession. The only really disappointing thing about the range is that there are only nine colours to choose from. Hopefully more will be added.


Left: Burning Black. Right: Purple Obsession.


They come in glass pots, each with a little protective disc to prevent the eyeshadow from flying out when you unscrew the lid. It's pressed, but it applies like a loose shadow. The pigmentation is quite intense, although you can apply it lightly and build up the colour.


Swatched dry over UDPP. Left: Burning Black. Right: Purple Obsession.

Burning black is a sparkly blackened burgundy, while Purple Obsession is a dark metallic purple. They apply really nicely and blending them out take very little effort. They can be applied sheer for a wash of colour or packed on for a more intense look. I decided to wear the two of them together just to try them out for the first time and I quite enjoy the combination. Purple Obsession actually applies darker than I thought, but is still a gorgeous colour. Burning Black is nice because it's not a black shadow with burgundy sparkle, but a dark burgundy shadow with burgundy shimmer.


Purple Obsession is on the lid and inner third of the lower lashline. Burning Black is in the crease and on the outer third of the lower lashline.

L'Oreal claims a ridiculous 24-hour wear time for these, but I obviously didn't wear my makeup for that long. It was on 12 hours and still looked like this after a two-hour training session. All in all, these are impressive eyeshadows, but I still wouldn't pay $20 a pop. Get them when they're on sale and you won't be disappointed. (On that note, Priceline has the BOGO free offer for another week, so be sure to check it out.)

2 comments:

  1. Ooh nice! I'll be on the lookout for this next time I'm at Priceline :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely have a play with the testers. I like the look of the bright blue, but none of the other colours really tickled my fancy.

    ReplyDelete