Monday, September 19, 2011

Review: September 2011 Beauty Box

It's been a little over a week since since I received my first Beauty Box (www.beauty-box.com.au), so I thought I'd let you all know how I was faring. I'm fairly pleased with it, as there's a couple of products I'll definitely be buying in the future. I've gone into a fair amount of detail here, so be prepared to slog through some text! I've also mentioned what's involved in the review process on the Beauty Box web site at the end.

 The contents of the September Beauty Box.


YSL Beauty Sleep
This is a 'resurfacing concentrate' that you apply at night, so I'm just going to call it a serum. YSL claims the results are 'immediate visibly transformed skin'. I don't know about that. The sample I received was miniscule, so I only had enough in there for three applications. My skin felt soft and moisturised in the morning, which is what it normally feels like anyway. I don't have leathery skin or anything to begin with, so I can't say I noticed a difference. That may not be what everyone else experiences, but since my skin is fairly normal to begin with and the sample was so small, I can't really say whether it's a good or bad product. I can honestly say that I didn't notice a radical change in my skin immediately after using it, which is kind of what it claims. It's also expensive, so I'd want a bigger sample before I fork out $100 for something like this.

Marc Jacobs Oh, Lola!
I'm in love with this perfume! It's gorgeous. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about scent, but I can tell you what I think of the perfume. It's not too heavy and it's fresh yet feminine. It lasted all day on me, too. I was pleased that three sample bottles were included, as it means you can get a better idea of how it wears. I'll probably buy a full-sized bottle of this because I like it so much. It's pricey, though.

Sally Hansen Everyday Strength Medium Nail File
This may make some people cringe, but I usually use a metal nail file. I know it's not really very good for my nails, but they're so thick, I just need something to file them down quickly. This file worked better than my usual: it was coarse enough to do its job quickly, yet not too coarse that I wasn't able to get a nice, smooth finish. I wasn't sure it would be able to get into the sides too well because of how thick the file is, but I had no problems with that. I also found it a much more pleasant experience than using a metal nail file, as well more flimsy emery boards. This is a definite winner and I'll definitely keep on buying this, as it's ridiculously cheap anyway.

Playboy Play It Spicy Body Spray
I was surprised by how much I liked the smell of this body spray. Playboy isn't big on my list of brands to look out for; in fact, it'd probably be right near the bottom. However, I can't deny the awesomeness of Play It Spicy. It's a strong fragrance, as most body sprays tend to be at first, but wears off to a lovely, subtle spiciness. It obviously didn't last as long as a perfume would, but as far as body sprays go, it was pretty good. I wouldn't wear it every day, but I'll definitely finish off the bottle. I haven't worn a body spray since high school, although I may need to revisit them if this is indicative of the quality of the fragrances available these days.

Shu Uemura High Performance Balancing Cleansing Oil Advanced Formula
I loved this cleansing oil. I've never used an oil product on my face before, so I was sceptical of its ability to remove all of my makeup. However, it did exactly that. You literally slap it on, add a little water as you rub it in and then rinse it off. Brilliant! It's also recommended for use on the eyes and it doesn't sting or anything. I found it couldn't quite remove all traces of my eye makeup, so I ended up using my usual remover on a cotton pad to quickly get most of it off and then I finished it off with the oil. It works a treat and it smells divine. One important thing is to ignore the suggested amount: my generous sample bottle was apparently good for four uses (it suggests a quarter of the bottle is one application), but I found that even when I was liberal with my application, I used nowhere near that much. After a week and a half, I'm a third of the way through the bottle, and that's using it every day since I got it. If it weren't so expensive, I'd probably keep buying it.

So there you go. Now, I've been asked about the whole review process with Beauty Box: it's sort of implied that you need to review the products to continue with your subscription to the service. First, I got my notification of payment for my October box before the products from September were available for review on the Beauty Box web site, so I don't know whether that's the case. Second, the review process simply involves five or six questions with drop-down boxes to choose from, as well as giving a star rating out of five. There's also a Comments box at the bottom that appears to be optional. After you submit your review, you get a notification that you're eligible to win the Beauty Treat of the month. So I think your review entitles you to go into the draw, not necessarily to continue receiving the box.

I hope that was helpful. Sorry if it's all a bit long-winded! Did any of you guys invest in the Beauty Box? If so, what did you think of it?