Friday, September 9, 2011

Sneak peek: Beauty Box #1

At last! Australia has a deluxe beauty sample service! In the same vein as the US Birchbox or UK GlossyBox, Beauty Box (www.beauty-box.com.au) is $14.95 a month for 4-5 deluxe beauty samples. There are actually a few of these services around now, but I decided to sign up with Beauty Box.

What lovely packaging. I was so excited to open it!

The presentation of the box is just gorgeous. The box it was delivered in was a cute pink colour and this classy-looking parcel was inside. The products were arranged very neatly inside the box, which was lined and sealed with black tissue paper.

Yay! New goodies to play with.

My Beauty Box just arrived today, so this isn't a review or anything. I thought I'd let you guys know what was in the box and give you my initial impressions and let you know what products I'm most excited about.


The Shu Uemura High Performance Balancing Cleansing Oil (150mL, $52; 400mL, $105). I've never used a cleansing oil before, so I'm excited to give this a go. The only thing that disturbs me is the fact that the packaging suggest a quarter of the bottle comprises a single use. It's also quite expensive to buy, so I'm kind of hoping don't fall in love with it!


Marc Jacobs Oh! Lola! (30mL, $75; 50mL, $120; 100mL, $160). I'm a big fan of Lola and I have to admit that this was love at first spray. It's a beautiful scent and I'm seriously considering buying the full-size bottle already. However, I'll reserve judgement until I've had a chance to wear it all day (rather than a squirt on the back of my hand) and see how it lasts throughout the day. Still, there are three small spray bottles, which I think is quite generous.


YSL Beauty Sleep (40mL, $99). This is a 'retexturising concentrate', which I think means a serum. I don't really use them so this is something totally new to me. All I've done is give this a sniff so far and it smells nice, so that's a good start!


Sally Hansen Everyday Strength Medium Nail File ($4.95). Everyone needs nail files, so this will definitely come in handy. It's not too coarse or fine, which is just the way I like my nail files. Not much to say about this until I actually use it.


Playboy Play It Spicy Body Spray ($4.49). For me, this was the biggest surprise in the box. I despise everything the Playboy brand stands for, so I was kind of disappointed when I saw this. Then I had a sniff. Holy moley, this stuff smells awesome. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it really is a delicious fragrance. I'm going to give this a whirl over the weekend (after making sure no one sees the embarrassing label) and see how I go. I used to love body sprays when I was younger (Impulse, anyone?), so maybe just the nostalgia factor impressed me.

The contents of the very first Beauty Box.

So here are all the goodies together, unwrapped. Not bad for $15, considering Australia Post's prices these days. I'm pretty sure you could send a parcel of this size from the US or UK to Australia for the same price we'd pay to send it one suburb over. But I digress...

I'm really happy with this first Beauty Box. I like the mix of full-sized and sample-sized products and the variety of the products is great. I'll give them all a try and let you know what I think of them in about a week or so. If this is the calibre of products I can expect to see each month, I'd definitely say the Beauty Box is a winner. Let me know what you guys think or if you went the Lust Have It route, how do you think the Beauty Box compares?