Thursday, November 3, 2011

Review: Maybelline & Garnier BB cream

Today I'm reviewing two BB creams: one from Maybelline and one from Garnier. I bought the Maybelline Pure BB Mineral 8-in-1 Protecting Cream myself fro Hong Kong and I was lucky enough to win a Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector Daily All-in-One BB Cream pack from Julie at My, my best and I (http://memybestandi.blogspot.com/). I'm going to compare the two products and let you know which one I like the best, although bear in mind that these are the first BB creams I've ever used, so I have nothing else to compare them to. I'm drawing on my experience and have no technical or scientific knowledge of the ingredients in either product.


It doesn't look it, but the Garnier tube is bigger with 20mL more product.

The Maybelline cream comes in a 30mL tube and is tinted, although it rubs down to almost nothing on the skin. I bought the same cream for my sister to try and she said it was invisible -- she has a medium skin tone while I'm quite light. I got the SPF50 version (there was an SPF26 one, too) because of our harsh Australian sun. When you squirt a bit of the cream out, I find it's thicker than a moisturiser, with a similar texture to a liquid foundation. However, when you rub it into your skin, it disappears and absorbs almost instantly. I found it controlled my oily T-zone fairly well and provided a nice base for my foundation. I wore it on its own and while it didn't quite offer enough coverage for my liking, it was similar to a tinted moisturiser.

The Garnier cream is in a 50mL tube and has a thicker consistency and is more tinted than the Maybelline. It's also quite moisturising, so I could get away with wearing no moisturiser underneath it. I found it gave enough coverage to go without foundation, but it leaves my face super shiny, so I definitely have to powder over it. As a base for foundation, it took a bit of work to rub in my foundation since it's such a moisturising cream. For this reason, I often waited at least 5 minutes for it to absorb before I did my makeup. It didn't work as well as the Maybelline for controlling oil, however.


Left: Maybelline. Right: Garnier. Straight out of the tube on the bottom, blended out on the top.

One thing to note about the Garnier is that it has a fresh, somewhat citrusy fragrance. I like it and it wears off fairly quickly, but it's something to bear in mind if you're sensitive to perfumed skincare products. The pack I received had both the Light and Medium creams, which are the only two available. I'm afraid this is a no-go for anyone with a darker skintone. In our multicultural society, I think that's a big mistake. The other thing is that while it offers enough coverage for me, I don't know that it's a replacement for a foundation for those who are trying to cover blemishes or freckles! The TV ad here shows the model without makeup and she's covered with freckles. I wasn't convinced that the cream has enough pigmentation to cover them, until I watched the 'making of' video here. But check out how much of the stuff the makeup artist uses! I'm not convinced the '30 seconds and you're done' slogan applies here.

Regardless, with an RRP of only $14, it's worth giving it a go. With the warmer weather coming, it'll be nice to forget about applying foundation only to have it melt off. Plus, the sunscreen is a bonus. As an aside, while it's only rated at SPF15, this is the halfway mark for SPF ratings in Australia. Sun protection products undergo more rigorous testing here than anywhere else in the world and our ratings can't really be compared to overseas SPF ratings. If you're interested in reading more about SPF, the Cancer Council web site here briefly compares the SPF testing procedures around the world.

Overall, I like them both: the Maybelline is great under makeup, while the Garnier is great on its own. Forgetting for the moment that the Maybelline isn't available to buy in Australia, I still like the Garnier better. As far as I understand, a BB cream can replace a moisturiser and foundation, which is what the Garnier does -- the Maybelline was hard to apply without a moisturiser underneath. However, I wouldn't use the Garnier every day because its oil control isn't so good. On those days when I'm in a hurry, it's fantastic. I can be a fairly lazy person when it comes to doing my makeup (especially on the weekends when I stay at home), so I'd definitely repurchase it. I still like the Maybelline so I'll continue to use it until it runs out.