Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Review: October 2011 Beauty Box

The second (October) Beauty Box (www.beauty-box.com.au) is actually the last. Beauty Box has become GlossyBox Australia (www.glossybox.com.au). As I'd already had the money taken from my credit card for the November box, that translated into 1000 GlossyDots, which means my December box will be free. Anyway, this month's box was a pretty impressive one for me.


Biotherm Aquasource Moisturiser ($59)
This is my all-time favourite moisturiser for summer. It's a gel formula so it absorbs quickly and doesn't feel heavy on the skin. It's got a lovely fresh smell and you only need a small amount to cover your whole face, so a tub lasts ages. The $15 I spent was worth it for this deluxe-size sample itself. The only thing I don't like about it is that there's no sunscreen in it, so I have to apply this separately. Oh and the whole tub thing may not appeal to some, but I love the moisturiser so much that I can look past that.

Jonh Freida Full Repair Full Body shampoo & conditioner ($15.99 each)
This shampoo and conditioner were quite nice. I really liked the smell of both and my hair felt clean after washing. However, I have curly (read dry) hair, so there's not quite enough moisturising action going on here. I didn't notice any extra body, but then my hair is also supremely thick and down to my waist. The price is decent, too. It could be worth a try if you need some extra body. Let me know if it does awesome things for you.

Shiseido Sheer Mattifying Compact Foundation ($66 for the refill and $22 for the case)
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to try this one. Although it was in Light, it was still too dark for me. I gave it to my slightly darker-skinned sister to try, but she's slack and hasn't gotten around to testing it yet. Anyone tried this? I'm pretty sure it will be a good colour match for her, so it's a good score for her!

Garnier Body Intensive 7 Days ($6.95)
A complete winner! This moisturiser is awesome. It smells nice, absorbs quickly and my skin felt hydrated for a couple of days after. I sometimes shower with water that's too hot, so I definitely notice if I skip the moisturiser. I could get away with every two days with this (yes, I'm *that* lazy). There were five sachets, so I got a good week out of them. I'm definitely buying this, especially when it's only $7!

Calvin Klein CK one shock for her & for him ($49-$79)
Not a fan. This perfume is way too sweet and heavy for me. The boyfriend thought the same of the men's one. I didn't mind the men's one as much as the women's. I actually had to wash it off after about 15 minutes and then it was much nicer and subtle. If you're into sweet and floral (maybe something like Flowerbomb) then you might like this. It's actually very reasonably priced, which is great if you like the smell.

All in all, I feel I got my money's worth because of that Biotherm sample, plus the fact that I'm definitely going to buy the body lotion. I'll let you guys know how I go with my GlossyBox when it arrives. That should be soon because I'm pretty late with this October one!