Saturday, December 3, 2011

Rant: up yours, Google

Today I found out from Socialite Dreams (www.socialitedreams.com) that Google is getting rid of Google Friend Connect. This pisses me off no end. I have no intention of creating a Google+ account, which is apparently what they're trying to push. What this means is that anyone without a Blogger account/blog will lose all their followers and won't be able to follow their favourite blogs in the same way. You can still follow using an RSS reader, though.

Another option is to follow using Bloglovin'. I've added a Bloglovin' widget on the left, so if you'd like to follow me that way, just click on that widget and away you go. I'm going to do the same with the blogs I follow. It's going to take a while, but I think that's the best way. While mine is obviously a Blogger site, I know lots of other sites don't use Blogger, so I'm going to take a stand and remove the GFC widget from my site at the end of the month.

I'd hate to lose all my lovely followers (there's 98 of you now!), but I totally understand how much work this means for us all, adding all the blogs you follow into another system. I'm prepared to do that, but I totally understand that not everyone else may be. So I hope you'll all come and join me in giving Google+ a big 'up yours'.