Friday, January 20, 2012

Nails: Zoya Jem & Cult Nails Clairvoyant

This week I've been wearing complete and utter awesomeness. You guys know by now how much I love Zoya polishes, so on its own Jem is amazing. However, I kind of wrecked my mani and being the lazy bum that I am, I decided to cover it up with other awesomeness rather than do a whole new mani. And that fixer-upper is the ultimate flakie: Cult Nail Clairvoyant (or Unicorn Puke if you have the original). I'm so happy to finally have this in my possession. All I can say is that the hype is definitely worth it.

Zoya Jem 

Again, because I'm lazy, I took these photos after I'd already trashed my nails a bit. I'd been digging inside my computer and there's all sorts of crap in there that will scratch the hell out of your nails. That aside, it's a beautiful burgundy shimmer with bits of microglitter in it. It was from the 2011 Mirrors collection. The polish applied so nicely and dried really quickly. This was two coats, plus one layer of topcoat.

 Ignore the tips and the scratches all over. It's all about the colour.

So to cover up the tips and other flaws, I added flakie goodness on top. I'd read so many amazing things about Clairvoyant/Unicorn Puke that I had to get it. This is the first time I've worn it (I know, what's wrong with me?) and I can totally see why everyone loves it. However, I wasn't prepared for how dense the flakie coverage was! I didn't think it would be a sparse smattering of pretty flakes, but I was really surprised! What sets this polish apart from others (except Picture Polish Festival) is that the flakes themselves are different colours. Wee! I even noticed some duochrome action going on, which I forgot to photograph.


 Clairvoyant has a purple base with multi-coloured flakes in it.

Here it is over Zoya Jem. Gorgeous! 

I applied only one coat of Clairvoyant in these pictures and no there's additional layer of topcoat (again, because I'm really lazy). See how evenly covered my nails are? It just looks awesome. It worked really well over Jem, but I'd still like to see how it looks over another colour, since it's got a sheer purple jelly base. That's the good thing about Festival: its base is clear, so it won't change the colour of the polish you wear underneath it. For Aussie ladies in particular, Festival is a cheaper way to get a multicoloured flakie polish. If I hadn't gotten Clairvoyant before Picture Polish released Festival, I probably would have gone for latter, simply because of that clear base. Regardless, I love Clairvoyant! And who doesn't love purple anyway?

 Creepy close-up shot so you can see all the pretty colours.