Friday, September 21, 2012

Nails: Sally Hansen nail polish strips

I bought a set of Sally Hansen nail polish strips a couple of months ago when they were on special at Priceline, but I didn't get around to trying them out until just now. I got #208 Blue Ice, which is a steel blue glitter polish. It looks cool and I like the idea of it. Maybe it's just me, but I found it quite fiddly and annoying to apply.

Sally Hansen Blue Ice.
First of all, you need to select the strip that best matches your nail shape. I ended up having to trim a few as well as go for ones that were a little narrow for my nails, but that's a minor inconvenience. You need to very carefully line up the strip as you apply because once it's on, it's on. That part is fine; the part I had the most trouble with is trying to get rid of the excess piece of strip hanging off the end of each nail.

The instructions say to remove it by filing it off with the supplied nail file, although the strip if fairly thick and after almost a minute of doing this on the first nail, I knew I had to try something else. I ended up using the included orange stick to break off the strip just under my nail and then used the file to tidy up a bit, which worked quite well.

Voila! The finished mani.

I quite like how it looked, but I still felt like I needed to apply a topcoat. Not because it was gritty (it was very smooth, despite the glitter), but I thought the ends would peel off and chip. I didn't and as a result, I had major chipping on my right hand before the end of the first day! I don't have photos because they all came out blurry (my left hand is useless). My left stayed fine, though. I had this on for six days. Taking it off was just as painful as taking off any other glitter nail polish.

All in all, I really like how it looked, but the fiddling around to apply it means I didn't really save any time at all. I imagine this would appeal to time-poor people, but it took much longer than I thought it would. I'm also sceptical of the 10-day wear it promises. But then I had one hand chip badly, while the other one was fine. I'm just glad I chose a design that didn't need to be perfectly straight. Maybe my hands aren't too steady, but these seem like more effort than they're worth to me.